Your new favorite salad: Bacon, Egg and Asparagus on Tossed Greens
I came up with this recipe the other day and am ridiculously impressed with how it turned out. Delicious, satisfying, easy, beautiful, fancy enough for company. Great dinner on a warm evening. Even your Paleo and slow carb friends will appreciate this.
I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture.
I give you:
Bacon, Egg and Asparagus Salad
- Salad greens
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Turkey bacon
- Asparagus spears
- 1-2 hard boiled eggs, halved (I prefer them on the soft side)
- Olive oil
- Good quality vinegar (I used balsamic)
- Salt and pepper
- Avocado (optional)
- Cook bacon till crisp. I use a microwave bacon cooker I inherited from my mom, but you can also just use a regular dinner plate and a paper towel, or cook in a pan on the stove.
- Steam asparagus. Again, I prefer using the microwave for about 2 minutes.
- Toss greens with onions, olive oil, a splash of vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Arrange on a plate. Pile dressed greens on a plate and top with 1 slice of bacon, 3-4 asparagus spears, and hard boiled egg halves. (A little avocado would catapult this salad into the legendary range.)
- Season again. I season this salad twice so the asparagus and eggs can benefit from a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Once you're done making salad, your kid can use the salad spinner as a dolly thrill ride. How's that for a hack?