Classroom valentines: start them now!
Starting today, gather the supplies. You've probably already got them lying around.
- Card stock (old manila file folders work well) or construction paper
- Red, pink and black markers and/or crayons
- Stickers, stamps, doilies, and bits of glitter
- Glue, glue sticks, tape
- If you like, small candies
- The classroom roster, including the names of your kids' teachers
This weekend, sit down with the kids and figure out what kinds of valentines they want to make (and if they want to make special valentines for their teachers). Keep them simple! Cutting out folded hearts takes minutes. If everyone's in the mood, start decorating!.
Next week, have the kids sign 1-2 valentines per day. The signing takes longer than you think, especially for beginning writers. Break this repetitive task into bits to keep it fun.
Before you know it, the valentines will be done, the kids will have had a fun art project with a bonus lesson in relationship-building.
More: Looking for ideas? Check out Best of Parent Hacks: Valentine's Day