In our attempt to decorate the nursery on a budget, I kept fussing over the lamp decision. No lamp under $40 looked appropriate for a nursery. Finally, my father-in-law suggested we add a dimmer switch to our overhead light. It was super-easy and cheap (under $15.) We don't have to find our way in the dark to a lamp to check on our son if he wakes, we can barely turn the light on to check on him when we want him to STAY asleep, ewe can work our way brighter in the morning for a nice, gradual wake-up, and we can dim it as bedtime approaches. Now that our son is moving into a "big boy" room to free up the nursery for number two, we will be going to Home Depot for another dimmer switch because it's the one bit of "decorating" that we now can't live without.
The latest on Parent Hacks
- Laundry hack: Write usage instructions on the washer and dryer with dry erase markers
- Air travel with kids: is early boarding actually helpful?
- Edit Your Life Episode 4: School Lunch Solutions
- Want to feel more creative and productive? Embrace your routines.
- Edit Your Life Episode 3: Why Edit Your Life?