Favorite 'no trans fat' snacks
The FDA is changing food labels so you'll now know how much trans fat lurks in your kid's food. Trans fat -- the result of hydrogenating oil -- typically shows up in packaged snacks such as cookies and crackers. Because it's more shelf-stable than regular oil, however, manufacturers use it in all sorts of convenience foods.
I've been a trans fat detective for years. I generally shop at my local natural-foods grocery store or Trader Joe's for snacks, cereals, and other ready-made food. I save money by watching for sales, packing my freezer, and buying staples at conventional supermarkets.
A few favorites:
- Annie's Cheddar Bunnies (Goldfish cracker alternative)
- Trader Joe's Honey Whole Wheat pretzel sticks
- New Morning Cinnamon Grahams
- Kashi GoLean Crunch and Mighty Bites cereals
- Nature Valley Peanut Butter granola bars (if our only shopping choices are the gas station or 7-11)
What are your family's favorite trans fat-free snacks?